#223: Tropic Thunder / Man on Wire / The Getaway / Top 5 Movies About Movies
Max Fischer: "Were you in the sh*t?" / Herman Blume: "Yeah, I was in the sh*t." As you can probably imagine, Adam and Matty have never been anywhere near the sh*t, which puts them in good company with the protagonists of Ben Stiller's latest Hollywood-war-movie parody "Tropic Thunder." Your hosts attempt to "take that hill" and wring out some much needed summer laughs alongside Jack Black, Jay Baruchel, and Kirk Lazarus. Plus, tying in with "Thunder's" movie-within-a-movie-within-a-movie conceit, Filmspotting counts down its Top 5 Movies About Movies (Redux).
Plus, the final movie in the Filmspotting Classic Heist Marathon, "The Getaway," and the lads find time to work in a review of the new documentary "Man on Wire," chronicling Philipe Petit's 1974 "artistic crime of the century" when he walked a tightrope strung between the World Trade Center towers.
Also on the show: Listener Feedback, Massacre Theatre, Matty's Movie Minute and music by Akron/Family.
** Filmspotting is presented by SpoutBlog and the FilmCouch podcast. Find out why The New York Times says, "SpoutBlog's got it all," at blog.spout.com. **
PBS does Star Wars... Play now at filmgaming.spout.com for a shot at great prizes!
:24-12:10 - Review: "Tropic Thunder"
12:11-18:30 - Review: "Man on Wire"
Music: Akron/Family, "I'll Be On the Water"
18:31-23:39 - Voicemail, Notes, Polls
23:40-32:09 - Feedback (Swan Songs)
Music: Akron/Family, "Shoes"
32:32-35:00 - Contest Winners
35:01-39:16 - Massacre Theatre (Winner: Bjorn van der Voo)
39:17-53:12 - Heist #6: "The Getaway"
Music: Akron/Family, "Don't Be Afraid..."
53:38-59:22 - New DVDs, Donations, Contest
59:23-1:01:30 - Matty's Movie Minute
1:01:29-1:10:33 - Top 5: Movies About Movies
1:11:34-1:13:20 - Close/Next Show/Outtakes
- For those of you who have seen "Man on Wire," no, the connection to heist movies wasn't lost on us... we just didn't get to squeeze it in. Hopefully it will come up on a later show.
- Orson Welles's character in "Transformers" was actually Unicron. Well, duh.
- We held off on the Cassavetes Marathon because unless you own the Criterion Five Films collection, the movies are almost all impossible to find on DVD.
- Yes, Matty deliberately refers to Divine as "she" and not "he" out of respect for his/her lifestyle choice. Or something like that.
- Yes, it sounds like Matty says Mike 'Judd' during Massacre Theatre... He's well aware that it's actually Mike Judge.