Filtering by Category: 2019
1. What movie will be my No. 1 of 2019? (FIRST COW)
2. Will WENDY prove that Benh Zeitlin is a true talent, or expose BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD as a fluke?
3. Should we trust that Regina Hall makes smart choices and knows how to make questionable premises sparkle? (LITTLE)
4. Can Pedro Almodovar’s PAIN & GLORY possibly be as good as Michael Bay’s PAIN & GAIN?
5. Will zombies be as good for Jim Jarmusch as vampires? (THE DEAD DON’T DIE)
1. First Cow
3. The Nightingale
5. Knives Out
1. What movie will be my No. 1 of 2019? (SHIRLEY)
2. Will the 5th woman ever nominated for Best Director also become the 6th? (Greta Gerwig, LITTLE WOMEN)
3. The Hawkesance will resume most resoundingly with which film (THE TRUTH, THE KID, TONIGHT AT NOON, ADOPT A HIGHWAY, STOCKHOLM)?
4. What will the world’s greatest living actor - sorry, Daniel Day-Lewis - do with JOKER?
5. Which movie about industry disruptors playing on industry-disrupting platform Netflix will be better, HIGH FLYING BIRD or VELVET BUZZSAW?
1. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
2. The Irishman
3. Knives Out
5. Toy Story 4
Runners-Up: THE DEATH OF STALIN, FIRST MAN
Runners-Up: FIRST REFORMED, ROMA
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT
Confessions / catharsis, MINDING THE GAP
“If they loved you…” SHOPLIFTERS; “Grab the reins,” THE RIDER + Nightmares, LEAN ON PETE
Scene of the Year
Crib shopping / Protest, ROMA
“Black Power / White Power,” BLACKKKLANSMAN; Family showdown, IF BEALE STREET…
“He did it,” AVENGERS: INFINITY WARS
Race to Svetlana, THE DEATH OF STALIN
Bear scene, ANNIHILATION