#664: 2018 Preview / Top 5 Questions
1. Which Rooney Mara-Joaquin Phoenix movie will be the more transcendent spiritual experience, MARY MAGDALENE or DON’T WORRY, HE WON’T GET FAR ON FOOT? or Is this the Year of the Phoenix (YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE)?
2. Is this the year I finally discover who Claire Foy is (UNSANE, FIRST MAN, THE GIRL IN THE SPIDER’S WEB)?
3. Will Filmspotting producer Sam Van Hallgren - and other cinephiles - actually appreciate Luca Guadagnino’s SUSPIRIA remake?
4. Which female-led, heist octet ensemble will we most want to see get away with it – OCEAN’S 8 or WIDOWS?
5. Why is the director of “Weekend” and “45 Years” making a heartwarming movie about a horse (LEAN ON PETE)?
1. Can Damien Chazelle move us without music (FIRST MAN)?
2. Which director of a recent horror breakout is most likely to take another big step forward in 2018: "The Babadook"'s Jennifer Kent (THE NIGHTINGALE) or "It Follows"'s David Robert Mitchell (UNDER THE SILVER LAKE)?
3. Will David Gordon Green’s HALLOWEEN finally force us to do a Halloween (1978) Sacred Cow?
4. Can Melissa McCarthy (CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?) carry a dramatic feature?
5. Can Shane Black’s THE PREDATOR possibly be as good as "Predators"?
Josh's 10 Most Anticipated Films of 2018
1. Isle of Dogs
3. Ready Player One
4. Incredibles 2
6. If Beale Street Could Talk
7. Black Klansman
8. Black Panther
9. Leave No Trace
10. High Life