#350: Super 8 / X-Men:First Class / Top 5 Monster Movies
It's 'hipster nostalgia porn' week on Filmspotting as Adam and guest Matt Singer discuss J.J. Abram's ode on a Spielberg urn, "Super 8." Then, Matty joins Adam for a Magneto-Professor X-level showdown on the merits of "X-Men: First Class" and a countdown of the Top 5 Monster Movies.
This podcast is brought to you by Squarespace.com.
- :00-23:58 - Review: "Super 8"
Music: Julius C, "Don't Want Anybody"
- 24:55-30:50 - Massacre Theatre / Polls
- 30:51-49:03 - Review: "X-Men: First Class"
Music: Julius C, "OK, OK"
- 49:58-1:04:37 - DVDs / Donations
- 1:04:59-1:23:48 - Top 5: Monster Movies
- 1:27:15-1:31:46 - Close / Outtake
iPHONE/ANDROID APP BONUS CONTENT
- If my senior year of Latin is correct, there's no such thing as "simulacrums" but "simulacra", right?
- Matty actually first used the 'hipster nostalgia porn' phrase in 2009 not 2008, in conjunction with the movie "Where the Wild Things Are." Surely it had to have appeared somewhere in the zeitgeist prior though.
NOTES / LINKS
- Incidentally, I'm with Matt that the 'best' scene in "Super 8" is Elle Fanning's 'Audition' scene... My example is just a good one for why the movie really works for me.
- Massacre Theatre winner: Jennifer Ozawa
SPONSORS / PARTNERS