#261: Away We Go / Drag Me To Hell / Mean Streets / Top 5 Performances by TV Stars
As everyone knows, Adam and Matty got their start in television on the early '80s sitcom "Mixed Reviews" about two odd couple film critics forced to live in the same apartment. Though the show was short-lived, people still talk about the famous two-part episode "Private Parts, Corporal Danger" in which Adam saves an unsuspecting Matty from the advances of the lascivious nextdoor neighbor (Gordon Jump in an Emmy-winning turn). So the lads were thrilled to discuss this week's "Away We Go," starring fellow television alumni Maya Rudolph and John Krasinksi, and even more excited to list their Top 5 Film Performances by TV Stars. The boys also made time to sneak in the eighth film in their New Hollywood Marathon, "Mean Streets." Listen closely and you can actually hear the slobber on the microphone as Martin Scorsese's first real feature reduces Adam to a blubbering mess: "Remember the scene where Marty follows Harvey Keitel into the bar in slow-mo? That was awesome."
Plus, the debut (and finale?) of Adam's Articulate Analysis examines Sam Raimi's "Drag Me To Hell," and the return of Matty's Movie Minute.
Also on the show: Listener Feedback, Massacre Theatre -- presented by In Review Online -- and music by The Airborne Toxic Event.
:25-14:03 - Review: "Away We Go"
14:04-18:00 - AAA: "Drag Me To Hell"
Music: Airborne Toxic Event, "Wishing Well"
19:08-24:25 - Voicemail, Polls
24:26-36:15 - Feedback: Up, Girlfriend Experience, Brothers Bloom
Music: Airborne Toxic Event, "Something Around Midnight"
37:27-41:46 - Mass. Theatre (Winner: W. Wilenz)
41:47-54:20 - New Hollywood #8: "Mean Streets"
Music: Airborne Toxic Event, "Gasoline"
54:59-59:30 - New DVDs/Matty's Movie Minute
59:31-1:04:55 - Notes/Donations
1:04:56-1:19:23 - Top 5: TV Star Performances
1:19:24-1:22:21 - Close/Next Show/Outtake
- Wow, HUGE mistake right off the top. Sam Mendes also made "Jarhead." It's a pretty forgettable movie, but still...
- Bill Murray was Herman in "Rushmore," not Max.
- Check out Jeff Goldsmith's Creative Screenwriting Podcast. It can be accessed through iTunes here.
- Link to "Enlighten Up" directed by Kate Churchill
- Those additional reviews on the site Matty promoted... I guess they're coming later.
- Andrew Sarris did write for the The New York Observer.
- Repertory Series at the Brattle - American Independents: The Dawn of New Hollywood
- Matty's Minny Meetup details can be found here.
- Adam's Montreal meetup details can be found here.
- Robin Williams was nominated for an Academy Award for "Good Morning Vietnam."
- Leo DiCaprio a TV "star"? Really? I'm not sure I'm buying Matty's mention there.
- Contest for "Food, Inc." passes
Follow more notes and corrections at http://twitter.com/filmspotting.