#251: Monsters vs. Aliens / Duplicity / Top 5 Sister Movies
It's hard to know who was more excited at the screening of DreamWorks' latest animated spectacle "Monster vs. Aliens" in 3-D: the two Kempenaar children, or Papa Adam Kempenaar and Uncle Matty? Needless to say, all four left the theater charged up and fighting over the promotional giveaway B.O.B. the blob toy -- hard lesson learned: never turn your back on Matty when free stuff is at stake. Plus, Filmspotting welcomes back Jessica Reaves from the Chicago Tribune to help the lads review "Duplicity," the new caper-comedy from "Michael Clayton" director Tony Gilroy and starring Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Jessica expounds upon Gilroy's demanding filmmaking techniques and sheds light on the finer points of a shirtless Clive Owen. Jessica then sticks around to add some legitimacy to the final segment when Filmspotting lists its Top 5 Sister Movies -- because, of course, Filmspotting has always relied on the kindness of strangers.
Also on the show: Massacre Theatre -- presented by In Review Online -- Listener Feedback and music by Gregory Douglass.
:13-11:41 - Review: "Monsters vs. Aliens"
Music: Gregory Douglass, "Cathedrals"
12:28-27:07 - Review: "Duplicity"
Music: Gregory Douglass, "Devotion"
28:33-33:30 - Mass. Theatre (Winner: S. Walker )
33:31-36:09 - Poll Questions
36:10-46:06 - Feedback (Deconstructors, Buddy Movies)
Music: Gregory Douglass, "Broken Through"
46:46-52:29 - New DVDs, Notes, Donations
52:30-1:10:22 - Top 5: Sister Movies
1:10:23-1:13:16 - Close/Next Show
- Follow corrections, notes and more on Filmspotting's Twitter page.
- Yes, Matty knows it's "Audrey" Hepburn.
- Jeff Goldsmith's Creative Screenwriting Podcast can be accessed through iTunes here.
- New Yorker article: "How Tony Gilroy surprises jaded moviegoers"
- Thanks again to Robin Galloway for her great Massacre Theatre performance!
- Um, Matty... I don't think "Marley and Me" is much like "Turner and Hooch" at all.
- Reel Recovery Film Series, Writers In Treatment