#210: Redbelt / Son of Rambow / Silent Running / Top 5 Dialogue Scenes
"A man distracted is a man defeated." How distracted were Adam and Matty by Ricky Jay and company's performances in "Redbelt," the latest film from playwright/screenwriter/director David Mamet? Your hosts enter the Filmspotting octagon to review Chiwetel Ejiofor as a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor forced to fight for his honor, his dojo and Emily Mortimer.
Plus, Matty finally catches up with the little English comedy that could from director Garth Jennings, "Son of Rambow," the darling of the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. Meanwhile, Bruce Dern -- with some help from Joan Baez -- destroys Adam and Matty's (already fragile) relationship with his lead performance in "Silent Running," the third entry in Filmspotting's '70s Sci-Fi Marathon.
Also on the show: Listener Feedback, Massacre Theatre, music by Ari Hest and... "Always Be Closing!" In honor of Mr. Mamet's unique librettos, the guys close out the show with their Top 5 Dialogue Scenes. "Of all the podcasts in all the world... you had to download ours."
** Filmspotting is brought to you by spout.com/contests. Test your movie knowledge and win a Nintendo Wii when you join the scavenger hunt at spout.com/contests, going on right now.
... And by TLAVideo.com. Buy DVDs online at the Filmspotting store! **
Congrats to our 'Recast The Breakfast Club Contest' winners -- jamerika and cjwood. Next up... Filmspotting and Spout.com invite you to take your best shot at recasting "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" for a chance to win some great American Apparel swag. A 2nd place winner will get "Speed Racer the Next Generation: The Beginning" on DVD.
:24-13:09 - Review: "Redbelt"
13:10-18:35- - Review: "Son of Rambow"
Music: Ari Hest, "I'll Be Here"
19:28-22:01 - Poll Questions
22:02-34:18 - Listener Feedback (Box Office Bombs)
Music: Ari Hest, "Concrete Sky"
35:26-38:46 - Massacre Theatre (Winner: Michael Roth)
38:47-47:31 - '70s Sci-Fi #3: "Silent Running"
Music: Ari Hest, "The Weight"
48:09-52:27 - New DVDs, Contest, Donations
52:28-1:04:37 - Top 5: Dialogue Scenes
1:04:38-1:07:36 - Close/Next Show/Outtake + Bonus Vulgarity
- Listener Kate insists that Alice Braga ("Redbelt") is not Sonia Braga's niece, despite all the Google links to the contrary. Sounds good to us.
- We (somehow) forgot to mention James Bond in the poll question this week. But it has been included here on the site.
- How many movies did Michael Cimino make after "Heaven's Gate"? Looks like 4.
- It occurs to me now that Recast winner jamerika is probably 'jam-erika' and not 'ja-merika.' Oh well, ja-merika sounds pretty cool.
- Matty was out of his element in denouncing of my "Almost Famous" pick. However, it does belong in the penalty box and has been placed there.
- "Almost Famous" was indeed nominated for Best Original Screenplay... and won too.
- We're certainly still open to suggestions, but we think we've come up with a good Top 5 for Indy IV next week -- Heroes Who Should Be Revived.