Filmspotting #117: Miami Vice / Bringing Up Baby / Top 5 Drug Movies
Wednesday, 02 August 2006 01:00
I heard what you  said about my mustache... and my hair

How do you take the pleasure out of a "guilty pleasure"? Hire Michael Mann to direct. Unflappable and existentially fraught super cops Crockett and Tubbs (Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx) are back in the big-screen version of Mann's executively-produced hit TV series "Miami Vice," but the kitschy cool of the original show has been replaced by a grim seriousness. Mann still displays a knack for using music, striking visuals and deliberate pacing to establish mood -- but Adam and Sam disagree on just how much that seductive mood makes up for the movie's weak dialogue and contrived plotting.

Also, Filmspotting continues its look at classic screwball comedies with Cary Grant in "The Awful Truth" and "Bringing Up Baby." 'Agonizing' isn't typically a word used to praise a bona fide 'masterpiece' like "Baby" ... and it isn't here, either. If there is a cinematic hell, Adam and Sam have surely just punched their tickets...

Plus: our Top 5 Drug Movies, Listener Feedback and Massacre Theatre, presented by The Armageddon Dance Party, premiering this month at the 10th Annual New York International Fringe Festival.

Music by Enon courtesy of Touch and Go Records.

Filmspotting is brought to you by Peerflix. Trade DVDs online at peerflix.com/filmspotting.

Listen  to Filmspotting #117

Filmspotting #117
:18-18:22 - Review: "Miami Vice"
18:23-19:08 - Audio Feedback
Music: Enon, "Kanon"
19:58-26:25 - Peerflix Winner (Austin Burns)/New DVDs, Donations
26:26-37:10 - Listener Feedback (Animation, Lady in the Water, Clerks II)
Music: Enon, "Natural Disaster"
37:52-40:53 - Massacre Theatre (Winner: Kara Moore)
40:54-42:23 - Podcast Awards, Dope Sheet Winner (Jennifer Cullimore)
42:24-58:05 - Screwball Marathon #3: Bringing Up Baby, The Awful Truth
Music: Enon, "Shave"
58:49-1:02:56 - Listener Feedback (Male Bonding Movies)
1:02:57-1:11:13 - 'Rent Boy Memorial' Top 5: Drug Movies
1:11:14-1:13:36 - Next Show/Close/Outtake

Have a comment or Top 5 list you'd like to share? Send an e-mail or short mp3 clip to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Or give us a call at 206-203-CINE and leave a voice message.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Listen To Filmspotting