Filmspotting #116: My Man Godfrey / Down in the Valley / Early Movie Memories
Friday, 28 July 2006 01:00
Oh Carole,  nobody loves you more than I do... except Sam.

After praising mainly the performances of William Powell and Myrna Loy in "The Thin Man," Adam and Sam approached the second film in their Screwball Comedies Marathon -- Gregory La Cava's "My Man Godfrey" (1936) -- with the confidence that things would only get better. And that hope was realized -- for one of them. "Not enough screwball in this comedy," says one, tapping his inner Joel Siegel. "I didn't stop laughing," says the other. One even goes so far as to dismiss star Carole Lombard, in perhaps her defining role, as merely "okay."

Also, a review of David Jacobson's "Down in the Valley" with Ed Norton and Evan Rachel Wood. Released earlier this year, but currently out of theatres and not yet on DVD, Adam and Sam couldn't help trading barbs on this film, which one calls the "second best film of the year." The other is, well, less charitable.

Plus ... put on your jammies, we're going to the drive-in: the first 'Unofficial' Filmspotting Top 5 ... Early Movie Memories.

Music by Dan Bern courtesy of Messenger Records.

This week's Peerflix DVD Giveaway winner is Glenn Selser from Rockville, Maryland. Congrats, Glenn. Look for the "Road House" Deluxe Edition in the mail soon!

Filmspotting is brought to you by Peerflix. Trade DVDs online at peerflix.com/filmspotting.

Listen  to Filmspotting #116

Filmspotting #116
:24-11:44 - Screwball Comedies #2: "My Man Godfrey"
Music: Dan Bern, "Black Tornado"
13:08-30:15 - Peerflix Giveaway, Listener Feedback (Pirates, Scanner)
Music: Dan Bern, "Baby Bye Bye"
31:25-44:22 - Review: "Down in the Valley"
44:23-48:04 - Listener Feedback (Mindbenders)
Music: Dan Bern, "Albuquerque Lullaby"
49:23-1:04:44 - 'Unofficial' Top 5: Early Movie Memories
1:04:45-1:07:03 - Next Week/Close/Outtake

Have a comment or Top 5 list you'd like to share? Send an e-mail or short mp3 clip to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Or give us a call at 206-203-CINE and leave a voice message.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Listen To Filmspotting

Grab Filmspotting from iTunes