Author Topic: Munchin's Sports Movie Marathon  (Read 3677 times)

munchin

Munchin's Sports Movie Marathon
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
Sport and Film are two of my great passions. Indeed, sports have a tremendous impact on many, if not most, if not all cultures and societies. And films based on or around sports have proven to be among film lovers' most loved, most inspiring and most emotional pleasures for almost as long as the medium has existed....

All that said, why have I missed out on so many beloved and quintessential sports films? It's time to rectify that. I tried to find 4 films (5 in the case of baseball, which is simply outrageously well-represented in film) that I either haven't seen or haven't seen in a very long time (like Raging Bull) that represent many different major sports. I tried to include at least one documentary for each, as well, when I could find one that sounded good. I don't know quite what order to tackle them in. I don't want to get burned out on any one sport but I don't want to go completely at random. Any suggestions appreciated  :)

* - documentary
s - seen before marathon, but not for years

Baseball                                                    Basketball                               Bodybuilding
Field of Dreams                                          Hoosiers                                  Stay Hungry
The Natural                                                White Men Can't Jumps           *Pumping Iron
Eight Men Out                                            Finding Forrester                     *Muscle Beach
Major League                                             *Hoop Dreamss                       *Bigger, Stronger, Faster
*The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg

Boxing                                                      Cards                                        Chess
Raging Bulls                                               California Split                          Searching For Bobby Fischer
The Hurricane                                           The Cincinatti Kid                       Fresh
Cinderella Man                                          Rounders                                   Dangerous Moves
*Ring of Fire: The Emile Griffith Story        *All In: The Poker Movie                   *Game Over: Kasparov and the Machine

Extreme                                   Football                                                     Golf
Endless Summer                       The Longest Yard                                     Caddyshack
Rollerball                                   Brian's Song                                             Tin Cups
Death Race 2000                      Rudy                                                         The Greatest Game Ever Played
*Dogtown and Z-Boys              *Go Tigers                                                *The Back Nine

Hockey                                      Racing                                                                  Soccer
Slap Shot                                  Breaking Away                                                     Victory
Miracle                                       Chariots of Fire                                                     Bend it Like Beckhams
The Deadliest Season               Talladega Nights                                                  The Damned United
Youngblood                               The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner       *Once in a Lifetime

Tennis/Table Tennis                   Wrestling
Wimbledons                               The Wrestlers
Pat and Mike                             Vision Quest
Hard, Fast and Beautiful                      No Holds Barreds
Ping Pong Playa                        *Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadowss

Should be 57 films? I'll keep you all posted!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:01:55 AM by munchin »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Munchin's Sports Movie Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:31:03 PM »
Terrific variety, what a fun idea for a marathon! :)

Most happy at the inclusion of:
White Men Can't Jump - still a whole lot of fun, one of the better buddy movies of the 90's, and a proper adult film.
Rounders - a classic because it pre-dates the poker craze.
Endless Summer - a classic. Peronally I prefer the more modern sequel (better music & visuals) but it has it's critics. If you end up liking Bruce Brown's style and you want to add another film to your Racing list, check out On Any Sunday. Endless Summer, but with motorcycles. :)
Rudy - Look forward to your reaction.

I'm going to assume you've seen Mighty Ducks and Cool Runnings ;)

munchin

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
Terrific variety, what a fun idea for a marathon! :)

Most happy at the inclusion of:
White Men Can't Jump - still a whole lot of fun, one of the better buddy movies of the 90's, and a proper adult film.
Rounders - a classic because it pre-dates the poker craze.
Endless Summer - a classic. Peronally I prefer the more modern sequel (better music & visuals) but it has it's critics. If you end up liking Bruce Brown's style and you want to add another film to your Racing list, check out On Any Sunday. Endless Summer, but with motorcycles. :)
Rudy - Look forward to your reaction.

I'm going to assume you've seen Mighty Ducks and Cool Runnings ;)

Cool Runnings! I totally forgot! Loved it when I was 9 or 10. Maybe I should have added a "Winter Sports" category - always wanted to see The Cutting Edge, and to a much lesser extent, Blades of Glory. Maybe I'll watch them as supplemental material  :).

The first three Mighty Ducks movies (are there more than that) are oddly fresh in my mind despite not being impressed with any of them and having seen them in middle school...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »
The first three Mighty Ducks movies (are there more than that) are oddly fresh in my mind despite not being impressed with any of them and having seen them in middle school...

Gordon Bombay will do that to you :)

*starts a quack chant*

Also FYC in the (arm)wrestling category: Over The Top
this is not a serious recommendation.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:52:09 PM by smirnoff »

Antares

• Elite Member
  • -endorphin junkie
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »
I caught the tail end of Endless Summer last night on HDNet. I'm hoping they re-broadcast it, what I saw, I liked.

munchin

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:00:08 PM »

Gordon Bombay will do that to you :)

*starts a quack chant*

Also FYC in the (arm)wrestling category: Over The Top
this is not a serious recommendation.

TBS used to air that movie with surprising regularity. It killed a few brain cells, I'm sure.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
Strongly recommend adding these:

General
Tokyo Olympiad
Olympia

Boxing
The Set-Up
Champion
Body and Soul

Chess
Chess Fever (short)

Extreme
Murderball

Racing
Two-Lane Blacktop
The Triplets of Belleville

At the very least, you've GOT to add The Set-Up.

munchin

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »
Strongly recommend adding these:

At the very least, you've GOT to add The Set-Up.

Hard to resist that endorsement. I think I will.

Scarecrow Video in Seattle had Tokyo Olympiad playing one day and I loitered about the store watching it for about 30 minutes, almost transfixed. It was gorgeous. I actually had a "general" category with both of those documentaries in it, but deleted it because all the other categories were less loosey-goosey. Perhaps a mistake?

Murderball is already in my documentary pantheon. I'll definitely consider the other ones, too, but The Set-Up looks very intriguing.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • I keep it 100...only when I'm drunk.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
Have you seen these?:

Sugar (baseball)
Fat City (boxing)

munchin

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
Have you seen these?:

Sugar (baseball)
Fat City (boxing)

Sugar yes, Fat City no. But I want to. Baseball and boxing have produced just so many great films, haven't they? I should give those two their own marathon.

love