Author Topic: Antares' Half Century of Life and Films Marathon  (Read 3609 times)

Antares

• Elite Member
  • Road Runner, Road Runner runs on the road all day.
Re: Antares' Half Century of Life and Films Marathon
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »
Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (1972) 3/5 - This is my first Werner Herzog film and it just didn't float my boat (pun intended). The cinematography and Klaus Kinski were both great, but the story just didn't have as much to offer as the more exciting tales that coincided with the film's making. Don't get me wrong, there were some very good scenes in the film, but by the halfway point the film appeared to run out of steam, which kind of coincided with the expedition's movement into the river's slower spots. One thing that did stand out to me was that Brad Pitt must be a big fan of Kinski, because at times, when Kinski would make a gesture or expression, I instantly thought of Pitt in Troy. I guess I'll have to try out Fitzcarraldo next, but I hope there's a little more meat in that film.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:17:13 AM by Antares »

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Ivan's Childhood (1962) 4.5/5 - This is my first film by Andrey Tarkovskiy and if this portends what I can expect from his other works, then I await with baited breath further exploration of his canon. Usually with the first film from any director, you can expect choppy editing or clumsy camera work, but this film looks like the work of a master craftsman. The first time I watch a film, I'm generally watching it for the story. But in this case, I was mesmerized by the framing, elaborate camera angles and the wonderful cinematography. I found myself replaying certain scenes because of how amazing the scene looked and played on screen. Another plus is the first rate work of Nikolay Burlyaev as Ivan. This has to be one of the greatest performances for a child actor ever. After the film was over, I popped over to IMDB to see what else he has been in, and was glad to see that he has had a storied career in the film industry.

If I had to find one fault with film, it would be this...I wish that a little time would have been spent on Ivan's sojourns and exploits behind enemy lines and less with the subplot involving Mascha.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:17:49 AM by Antares »

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
Wings of Desire (1987) 3.5/5 - I actually watched this film about a month ago and forgot to write a review on it. Now that four weeks have passed by, I am at a loss to think of anything in this film that was truly memorable. As I was watching it, it held my curiosity and there were some truly beautiful scenes, but as a whole, I will probably never watch it again. Bruno Ganz was great as can be expected, and I loved looking at Solveig Dommartin. It's a shame she died so young. Sorry if there's not much written here, but the film just didn't grab me. I liked it, but barely.

Chariots of Fire (1981) 3.5/5 - On the other hand... I love British films and this one, while not riveting, kept my attention throughout. The performances are all top notch and while there is very little to the story, it is done with the right tempo to make it compelling. To me, the mark of a good biopic, is whether or not it sends me to my computer after I finish watching it, to research the people involved. And this film piqued my curiosity enough to do that. Finally, I remember that a big deal was made about the soundtrack back when this was released, but as with all synthetic scores, it now sounds horribly dated. Synthesizer scores were a great gimmick back in the day, but I have yet to hear one that has stood the test of time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:40:55 AM by Antares »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »
Synthesizer scores were a great gimmick back in the day, but I have yet to hear one that has stood the test of time.

How about Blade Runner?  I'm also a huge fan of the Tangerine Dream score for Thief, but there might be a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in that (it was what got me into Tangerine Dream, which ended up being my first concert).

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
Synthesizer scores were a great gimmick back in the day, but I have yet to hear one that has stood the test of time.

How about Blade Runner?  I'm also a huge fan of the Tangerine Dream score for Thief, but there might be a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in that (it was what got me into Tangerine Dream, which ended up being my first concert).

I have Blade Runner on this list of films to be watched, so maybe I might change my mind. I've never seen the other film you mentioned. The films that come to mind are The Long Good Friday and Das Boot. Both scores are kind of cheesy sounding now and the former's is excruciatingly grating at times.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
Too bad, Antares. I would've thought we'd find common ground with a moody, think piece like Wings of Desire. So much to say about life, how you remember it and how you choose to live it. Even with all I've done this year to stretch my cinematic horizons, none of them match the dreamy pull of Wings, which I have seen many times.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:32:43 AM by 1SO »
"I play tunes... on a typewriter."

My Watchlist
2014 Watchlist
Horror Watchlist

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »

Remember The Night
I love discovering these great Christmas films from decades ago that aren't listed among the usual holiday suspects. (Roujin recommended it a couple of months ago and sdedalus is a big fan too.) Stanwyck and McMurray, this time as a rom-com couple. The script is by Preston Sturges and it's directed by Mitchell Leisen, one of my recently de-shamed directors who underwhelmed me with Midnight. After a lengthy scene involving a windbag lawyer, this one hits all the right notes. Better and more memorable than Stanwyck's Christmas in Connecticut, I really liked the emotional conflict built into the screwball premise. Things don't get dramatic so much as there's a level of sentimentality about the importance of family at Christmastime which I loved.

McMurray hasn't developed his edge yet that comes out in Double Indemnity and The Apartment, so he's kind of a nerd here. Plays it a bit to naive. Stanwyck carries him most of the way, handling all the big emotional scenes while making it look like a fine duet. As if further proof is needed that she's one of the greatest there ever was. If you haven't heard of it and you're looking for a Christmas film you haven't seen, this is a good one. (Just be patient with the windbag lawyer, and remember that McMurray's odd cousin Willie is also Winnie the Pooh.)
RATING: * * *

Did you mean to post this in a different thread?

Antares

• Elite Member
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 10:35:14 AM »
Too bad, Antares. I would've thought we'd find common ground with a moody, think piece like Wings of Desire. So much to say about life, how you remember it and how you choose to live it. Even with all I've done this year to stretch my cinematic horizons, none of them match the dreamy pull of Wings, which I have seen many times.

I'll give it another chance at a later date...I'm no Pauline Kael, I believe almost all films deserve a second viewing, in case you weren't in the right frame of mind the first time. I did like it, it just didn't move me. The funny thing is, my wife really wanted to watch it, and she's very big on arthouse type films, and she too, wasn't enthralled by it. I was shocked at her lack of response to it, because this is the kind of film that's right up her alley.

Remember The Night

Sorry, but this film came out before I was born, and therefore cannot be discussed in this thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:37:11 AM by Antares »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
whoops
"I play tunes... on a typewriter."

My Watchlist
2014 Watchlist
Horror Watchlist

sdedalus

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »

Aren't the John Carpenter scores synthesizer-heavy?  Assault on Precinct 13 and such?  To Live and Die in LA, maybe?