Author Topic: Martin polishes off the TSPDT Top 1000 list  (Read 11398 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Martin polishes off the TSPDT Top 1000 list
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 05:08:44 PM »
Ah shit, I just realized... The Art of Vision is still on the list (down to #819 from #800) meaning I'll still be unable to reach 100%.  I love Brakhage, but right now I must shake my fist at him.  >:(

I wonder why netflix never took in his 2nd anthology...I enjoyed the first one, but cant justify spending that much money on the collection.

but yeah, I really hope they do a third collection including the Art of Vision and Anticipation of the Night

The collection is one of my prized possessions.  Volume 2 is a little more uneven than Volume 1 (I could do without the "Visions in Meditation" series entirely) but it's definitely worth having the entire collection on Blu-Ray.

I'm not very fond of Anticipation, but I was surprised they didn't include Text of Light.  I doubt they'll ever do Art of Vision.  It's a hard sell, especially since it's just Dog Star Man broken down into its un-superimposed images.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »
how did you watch anticipation?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Be kind and play a mean oboe
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
Martin, I have a personal question.  I noted that you were signed up with Cricketer, which I was interested in and started working on.  It's a lot of fun.  But the ranking is 1-100.  Most of my ranks would probably fall between 50-100, and I tend to rank by tens (which matches my stars, with halves).  But you, you have some at 44 or 78.  How do you do that?  Are you ranking, or are you just pulling out a number-- "Hmm, that seems to be a 82.75... no, make that .76"  That is more specific than I think I can do... unless I'm ranking.
"We love our favorite films the way we love our families... we accept them as they are, flaws and all." -Martin Teller

Just Another Movie Blog

Anawim Christian Community: A community of the homeless and mentally ill [/url

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »
how did you watch anticipation?

Found it online.

Martin, I have a personal question.  I noted that you were signed up with Cricketer, which I was interested in and started working on.  It's a lot of fun.  But the ranking is 1-100.  Most of my ranks would probably fall between 50-100, and I tend to rank by tens (which matches my stars, with halves).  But you, you have some at 44 or 78.  How do you do that?  Are you ranking, or are you just pulling out a number-- "Hmm, that seems to be a 82.75... no, make that .76"  That is more specific than I think I can do... unless I'm ranking.

I doubt I can put it into words.  It's a lot of gut feeling, sometimes comparing to other things I've already rated.  On the lower end it's rather arbitrary, but higher up the smaller gradations mean a little more.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »
Moving on....

Tale of the Taira Clan (Shin heike monogatari) - This just dropped off the TSPDT 1000 list, but I've resolved to complete the 2010 edition (as much as possible) anyway.  Besides, I adore Mizoguchi so I would have gotten around to it regardless.  This really isn't his thing, though.  It's a fairly entertaining story with some complex (i.e., hard to follow) politics.  Lots of clans and factions and matters of honor and respect... man, living in ancient Japan must have been a bitch.  You always have to know who to kowtow to, and it's always changing.  It flows along well with enough interesting moments, and it has good music and some dynamite shots... including crowd scenes, a rarity for Mizoguchi (and like Princess Yang Kwei Fei, is in color).  But there isn't a whole lot of passion in it.  It's similar to his take on the 47 Ronin tale, lacking in real human insight.  Not bad, just not great.  As a sidenote, I can't help but think the runaway popularity of Rashomon influenced the multiple tellings of Kiyomori's parentage.  Rating: 7

Antares

• Elite Member
  • Racing with the wind... Beep! Beep! → → → → →
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »
I'm not ecstatic about any of those additions, but I definitely don't like seeing The Ox-Bow Incident fall off.

pixote

Or You Can't Take it with You and Chloe in the Afternoon for that matter.
♫ ♪ "And in your voice I hear a choir of carousels" ♪ ♫

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 11:21:27 PM »
By the Bluest of Seas - If Happiness was a novelty as a Soviet comedy, then what do you make of a romantic comedy?  And with a few brief musical interludes, no less!  This unusual little flick from Boris Barnet follows the adventures of two strapping young men in love with the same girl, who also happens to be the leader of their Communist island collective.  There's nothing really great here and not much to comment on, but it's a very pleasant film with a few neat tricks, likeable actors, and propaganda that doesn't feel too blunt.  Rating: 7

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 06:04:46 AM »
I'm curious to know what your "Top 10 discoveries from the TSPDT list" are ... that is, films you watched specificaly because they were on the list.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »
I'm curious to know what your "Top 10 discoveries from the TSPDT list" are ... that is, films you watched specificaly because they were on the list.

pixote

Ha, just last night I was thinking I would post such a list when I'm done.  Along with a bottom 10, of course.

It's a little tricky, of course, because it's hard to say what I might have discovered on my own, or from doing other lists.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 10:31:06 AM »
I wouldn't worry about what you might've discovered, just what you did discover. That's a list I'd like to see as well.

love