Author Topic: FYC: Best Lead Performance - Male  (Read 14662 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: FYC: Best Lead Performance - Male
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2010, 09:11:55 PM »
Woohoo Billy Bob! Nice list.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • flames on the side of my face
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »
Submitted:

Best Lead Performance - Male

Tom Wilkinson - In the Bedroom
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Ulrich Muhe - The Lives of Other
Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
Tony Leung - In the Mood for Love
James McAvoy - The Last King of Scotland
Colin Farrell - In Bruges
Bill Murray - Lost in Translation
Guy Pearce - Memento
Gene Hackman - The Royal Tenenbaums
Geoffrey Rush - Quills
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Jeff Bridges - The Door in the Floor
Jeremy Renner - The Hurt Locker
Paul Giamatti - American Splendor
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Sam Rockwell - Moon
Sean Penn - Milk
Tommy Lee Jones - No Country for Old Men
Hugh Grant - About a Boy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2010, 12:29:55 PM »
Nicholas Cage - Adaptation

Okay. But, I'm saying, it's like, I don't want to cram in sex or guns or car chases, you know... or characters, you know, learning profound life lessons or growing or coming to like each other or overcoming obstacles to succeed in the end, you know. I mean... The book isn't like that, and life isn't like that. You know, it just isn't. And... I feel very strongly about this.

Nicholas Cage - Matchstick Men

Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, "I'm a grown man. I should know what goes on my head." And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life.

Nicholas Cage - The Family Man

We have a house in Jersey. We have two kids, Annie and Josh. Annie's not much of a violin player, but she tries real hard. She's a little precocious, but that's only because she says what's on her mind. And when she smiles... And Josh, he has your eyes. He doesn't say much, but we know he's smart. He's always got his eyes open, he's always watching us. Sometimes you can look at him and you just know he's learning something new. It's like witnessing a miracle. The house is a mess but it's ours. After 122 more payments, it's going to be ours. And you, you're a non-profit lawyer. That's right, you're completely non-profit, but that doesn't seem to bother you. And we're in love. After 13 years of marriage we're still unbelievably in love. You won't even let me touch you until I've said it. I sing to you. Not all the time, but definitely on special occasions. We've dealt with our share of surprises and made a lot of sacrifices but we've stayed together. You see, you're a better person than I am. And it made me a better person to be around you. I don't know, maybe it was just all a dream. Maybe I went to bed one lonely night in December and I imagined it all. But I swear, nothing has ever felt more real. And if you get on that plane right now, it'll disappear forever. I know we could both go on with our lives and we'd both be fine, but I've seen what we could be like together. And I choose us.

Billy Bob Thornton - Bad Santa

Things are CINECAST!ed up at the North Pole. Mrs. Claus caught me CINECAST!ing her sister, now I'm out on my ass.

Tom Hanks - Cast Away

Hey, you want to hear something funny? My dentist's name is James Spalding.

Paul Giamatti - Sideways

Are you chewing gum?

Jason Patrick - NARC

Oh ho ho! Bagels and guns!

Jamie Foxx - Ray

Baby, when I walk out that door I walk out alone in the dark. I'm trying to do something ain't nobody ever done in music and business.

Ed Norton - 25th Hour

The last girl you picked out special for me had three teeth, all in the back!

Jim Carrey - Me, Myself and Irene

Woa, woa, woa, wooa! Tweak the high end on your emotional EQ, sweetpeak. The funky chicken was Charlie's dance. I'm a tango man myself.

Richard Jenkins - The Visito

Don't Worry. I'll keep my pants on.

Brenden Gleeson - In Bruges

Do you have to? Of course you don't have to. It's Jesus' CINECAST!ing blood, isn't it? Of course you don't CINECAST!ing have to! Of *course* you don't CINECAST!ing have to!

Thomas Turgoose - This is England

I just wondered if you'd like to be my girlfriend. I think you're lovely.

Jack Black - Shallow Hal

You know, there are a few times in a guy's life - and I mean two or three, tops - when he comes to a crossroads, and he's gotta decide. If he goes one way, he can keep doing what he's been doing and be with any woman who'll have him. And if he goes the other way, he gets to be with only one woman, maybe - maybe for the rest of his life. Now it seems that by taking the other road, he's missing out on a lot. But the truth is, he gets much more in return. He gets to be happy. Are you wearing panties?

Ethan Hawke - Before Sunset

I feel like if someone were to touch me, I'd dissolve into molecules.

Denzel Washington - Training Day

To be truly effective, a good narcotics agent must know and love narcotics. In fact, a good narcotics agent should have narcotics in his blood.

Emile Hirsch - Into The Wild

The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Geoffrey Rush - Quills

If someone would try to walk on water and drowned, would you blame the Bible?

John Cameron Mitchell - Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Don't you know me Kansas City? I'm the new Berlin Wall. Try and tear me down!

Campbell Scott - Rodger Dodger

You drink that drink! Alcohol has been a social lubricant for thousands of years. What do you think, you're going to sit here tonight and reinvent the wheel?

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2010, 02:51:22 PM »
LEAD ACTOR:
Aaron Eckhart - Thank you for Smoking

"Right there, looking into Joey's eyes, it all came back in a rush. Why I do what I do. Defending the defenseless, protecting the disenfranchised corporations that have been abandoned by their very own consumers: the logger, the sweatshop foreman, the oil driller, the land mine developer, the baby seal poacher... "

Adam Sandler - Punch-Drunk Love

"I have to get more pudding for this trip to Hawaii. As I just said that out loud I realize it sounded a little strange but it's not. "

Clive Owen - Children of Men

"A hundred years from now there won't be one sad fk to look at any of this. What keeps you going? "

Colin Farrell – In Bruges

"I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't. "

Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood

"If I travel all the way there and find out that you're a liar, I'll find you and take more than my money back, is that alright with you? "

Emile Hirsch - Into The Wild

"You're just living, man. You're just there, in that moment, in that special place and time. Maybe when I get back, I can write a book about my travels. "

Gael García Bernal - The Science of Sleep

"I am your neighbor and a liar. By the way, do you have Zoe's number? "

James Caviezel - Passion of the Christ

"Forgive them, Father. They know not what they do."

Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

"Sand is overrated. It's just tiny, little rocks. "

Ki-duk Kim - Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring

"Lust awakens the desire to possess"

Michael Stuhlbarg - A Serious Man

"You understand the dead cat? But... you... you can't really understand the physics without understanding the math. The math tells how it really works. That's the real thing; the stories I give you in class are just illustrative; they're like, fables, say, to help give you a picture. An imperfect model. I mean - even I don't understand the dead cat. The math is how it really works."

Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

"Give this to your son, it's an authentic Randy "the Ram" action figure. Tell him not to lose it, it's a $300 collectors item. "

Nicolas Cage - Adaptation

"Okay. But, I'm saying, it's like, I don't want to cram in sex or guns or car chases, you know... or characters, you know, learning profound life lessons or growing or coming to like each other or overcoming obstacles to succeed in the end, you know. I mean... The book isn't like that, and life isn't like that. You know, it just isn't. And... I feel very strongly about this. "

Paul Rudd - I Love You, Man

"Hey there Miss Moneypussy. Wanna jump on my jet pack? "

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Synecdoche, New York

"Try to keep in mind that a young person playing Willy Loman thinks he's only pretending to be at the end of a life full of despair. But the tragedy is that we know that you, the young actor, will end up in this very place of desolation."

Rudy Youngblood - Apocalypto

" I am Jaguar Paw, son of Flint Sky. My Father hunted this forest before me. My name is Jaguar Paw. I am a hunter. This is my forest. And my sons will hunt it with their sons after I am gone. "

Tom Hanks - Cast Away

"...And that's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing."

Tom Wilkinson - In the Bedroom

"Ever notice that even the worst bastards have friends?"

Ulrich Mühe - The Lives of Others

"An innocent prisoner will become more angry by the hour due to the injustice suffered. He will shout and rage. A guilty prisoner becomes more calm and quiet. Or he cries. He knows he's there for a reason. The best way to establish guilt or innocence is non-stop interrogation. "

Will Smith - The Pursuit of Happyness

"He must have had on some really nice pants! "

These are the new ones for the index:
Aaron Eckhart - Thank you for Smoking
James Caviezel - Passion of the Christ
Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Michael Stuhlbarg - A Serious Man
Rudy Youngblood - Apocalypto
Will Smith - The Pursuit of Happyness
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:53:22 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." - John Bender
(switchboard)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2010, 03:05:26 PM »
Or the fact that they didn't care for it, like me.

Regardless of your feelings for the film, I can't see how you wouldn't consider that to be a great performance.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »

"Hey there Miss Moneypussy. Wanna jump on my jet pack? "
I should really watch this.

These are the new ones for the index:
I know you know I know why you do this, but I still have to say thanks ;)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »
The lack of love for Gordon Pincent is very disappointing. I'll just chalk it up to not enough people having seen Away From Her.
Yeah, I didn't get to it.  :-[

High five.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:18 AM »
Daniel Day-Lewis - Daniel Plainview - There Will Be Blood
Ulrich Mühe - Hauptmann Gerd Wiesler - The Lives of Others
Colin Farrell – Ray - In Bruges
Will Ferrell - Ron Burgundy - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Adrien Brody - Wladyslaw Szpilman - The Pianist
Bruno Ganz - Adolf Hitler - Downfall
Clive Owen - Theo Faron - Children of Men
Jeff Anderson – Randal - Clerks II
John Cusack - Rob Gordon - High Fidelity
Mads Mikkelsen - Jacob Pederson - After the Wedding
Matthew Perry - Nicholas 'Oz' Oseransky - The Whole Nine Yards
Michael Stuhlbarg - Larry Gopnik - A Serious Man
Min-sik Choi    - Dae-su Oh - Oldboy
Nic Cage - Charlie & Donald Kaufman - Adaptation
Russell Crowe – Maximus - Gladiator
Sean Penn - Jimmy Markum - Mystic River
Vince Vaughn - Jeremy Grey - Wedding Crashers
Christian Bale - Alfred Borden - The Prestige
Clint Eastwood - Walt Kowalski - Gran Torino
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2010, 10:56:07 PM »
How did I forget Sam Rockwell in Moon?

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." - John Bender
(switchboard)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • We're all the audience!
    • Cinema Sights
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01:34 AM »
Because it's a forgettable performance?

ba-dum-che