Author Topic: 1SO vs. the 00s: Best of the Decade Marathon  (Read 57140 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. the 00's: Best of the Decade Marathon
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »
Hello, Operator?

I think Todd Haynes hijacked my marathon.

*by the way, Moore is better in Haynes' Safe.
"I play tunes... on a typewriter."

My Watchlist
2014 Watchlist
Horror Watchlist

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
Nice write-up on DPT, ISO! It's a film I like a lot, and it was my introduction to Ejiofor, who is, indeed, fantastic in it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 01:08:37 PM by oneaprilday »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
1SO vs. Best of the 00's: 109-112
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »
Best of the Decade Marathon Update

112. X2: X-Men United - I remember people being rabid about the high quality of this sequel, and I do like it a lot.  It does an excellent job setting up the epic scale of the X-Men universe.  However, I prefer the lean pacing of the original which had a much more consistent balance of action and story.  This one has more dry stretches with necessary breaks for fight scenes Bryan Singer doesn't seem very interested in.  (Unfortunately, the best part of this film is the opening.)  Mind reading in movies is rarely exciting, and this film proves it.  Other than that though, it's a great film.

111. Versus

I'm a big fan of genre, and this is a stylish clever tale of Gangsters vs. Zombies.  It launched the career of Ryűhei Kitamura, who has Sam Raimi's sense of flashy camera style and fun.  The sound design really helps make this film a high-octane kick and all of the action is super duper cool.  (The dialogue scenes... eh, not so much).  Like the Evil Dead trilogy, this is a film made on an obviously low budget and with very low aims.  But there's tremendous skill behind the lens.  Versus is a great guilty pleasure.

110. Zoolander

I was really expecting to not like this film so much, having not seen it since 2001 when it was in theaters.  I was wrong.  I think it may be Ben Stiller's best film as a director.  Few movies succeed at being both completely stupid yet utter genius at the same time.  The walk off is one of my favorite scenes of the year (at least until the underwear finale, which is just stupid.)  Stiller, the director, is exceptional at setting up his gags and paying them off later in sometimes unexpected ways. The jokes come fast and frequently, and here's a film where the endless supply of celebrity cameos works within the story as well as being funny on their own.  Also, this might be my favorite Will Ferrell.  Don't know if that's because he's supporting or because the character doesn't fit neatly into one of Ferrell's stock types.

So the list stands at...

109. Dirty Pretty Things [climbing above today's 3]
110. Zoolander
111. Versus
112. X2: X-Men United

Next up for a watch, 2004's Touching The Void
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:35:57 AM by 1SO »

My Watchlist
2014 Watchlist
Horror Watchlist

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: 1SO vs. Best of the 00's: 109-112
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »

Goodie!  :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." - John Bender
(switchboard)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 1SO vs. Best of the 00's: 109-112
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 04:18:12 PM »

Goodie!  :)

cant wait to hear your opinion. it's in my top 100.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2010, 11:47:53 PM »
Wow, I'm in agreement with you on every film so far. Though you probably liked Versus just a little bit more than me. And Touching the Void is up next! Exciting!

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. Best of the 00s: Touching The Void/Interstella 5555
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 12:04:22 AM »

Touching The Void

Another film I haven't watched since its theatrical release.  Let me stress that just because a film doesn't make my Top 100 doesn't mean it's not a really good film.  I definitely recommend Touching The Void.  Filmed with what must have been considerable difficulty, it's a gripping and exciting true adventure of a mountain climbing expedition that nearly turned fatal.  Director Kevin MacDonald - who went on to helm The Last King of Scotland - filmed the mountain climbers telling their tale (along with a 3rd person who waited below for their return).  He then intercuts this with a very cinematic recreation of events.  Great approach, this is probably the most involved I've been in an activity I care little about.  Perhaps that's why this won't be making my Top 100, it's just not a subject I have great interest in, even though the human interest factor couldn't be higher.  Some decisions are made that just made my heart sink into my stomach.  I hope I'm never put to such a test.

INTERSTELLA 5555

One of the great undiscovered gems of the 00s.  I understand why this film played in Cannes in '03 and why it never got a proper theatrical release.  A feature length Japanese Anime adaptation of Daft Punk's Discovery is going to appeal to a very limited audience.  Unfortunately, this banquet for the eyes and ears was meant to be experienced on the biggest, loudest possible screen.  Even on a television, the effect is damn near hypnotic.

The film follows the track sequence of Discovery faithfully, telling the story of the abduction and rescue of an interstellar pop band.  There's no dialogue and minimal sound effects.  This is not simply a lengthy music video, but a great sci-fi adventure that's also a satire on the way pop stars are processed for mass consumption. There's also a nice little love story in the mix.  I don't think Discovery is a perfect CD, and the couple of weak tracks make for lesser film sequences, (including the lengthy finale) but overall this is bold, spirited and bracingly original.  I can guarantee this will make my Top 100.

So the list stands at...

107. Interstella 5555 [but this will climb much higher]
108. Dirty Pretty Things
109. Zoolander
110. Versus
111. X2: X-Men United

Next on my list are a bunch of films I own, so I hope to view them in quick succession.  Alphabetically, they are...
Blade II
Drumline
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
O Brother, Where Art Thou
School of Rock
Whale Rider

After that, I finally break into my Top 100 with a fresh look at J.S.A.: Joint Security Area the directorial debut of Park Chan-Wook.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:55:10 PM by 1SO »

My Watchlist
2014 Watchlist
Horror Watchlist

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 1SO vs. Best of the 00s: O Brother/Whale Rider
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:44 PM »

I am having such a great time with this marathon.  How wonderful to relive the experience of watching so many wonderful movies.  Right now, it's hard to imagine there are much greater films to come.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The most likable film the Coen's have made so far.  I feel there's very little I need to say in praise of this film.  The deliberately episodic storytelling leads to a fair amount of self-indulgence (hence the low ranking), and it quickly loses steam before the rousing finale ties everything up nicely.  Lots of quotable lines, and as expected, impeccable technical qualities.  This is my favorite Coen recreation of a time and place.

Whale Rider

So glad I watched this again.  Just a beautiful, beautifully told story.  I couldn't help but think of Werckmeister Harmonies, which I recently watched.  Both films involve a large whale and both contain a hell of an emotional punch in the final half hour.  But Whale Rider is as simple with it's poetic fable as Harmonies is complex with poetic allegory.  And I much prefer the simple story.  I was caught up in the magical mysticism of this film, and loved spending time in this world.  (I admire the Coen's ability to recreate a time and place, but this film steeped me in the culture.)  I do think the pace could have been tighter without losing that organic quality, and a couple of magical moments are clearly telegraphed in advance.  But I'm picking nits.

My Current List...

105. Whale Rider
106. Interstella 5555
107. Dirty Pretty Things
108. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
109. Zoolander
110. Versus
111. X2: X-Men United

Still to come...
Blade II
Drumline
The 40-Year-Old Virgin
School of Rock

After that, I finally break into my Top 100 with a fresh look at J.S.A.: Joint Security Area the directorial debut of Park Chan-Wook.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:14:47 PM by 1SO »

My Watchlist
2014 Watchlist
Horror Watchlist

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s: Best of the Decade Marathon
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
I have found memories of Blade 2. Quite exciting and gory from what I recall. Drumline I am completely unfamiliar with. The other two are solid comedies with actors seemingly tailor made for the roles. Have fun :)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: 1SO vs. the 00s: Best of the Decade Marathon
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
I like both of your reviews.  I haven't seen Whale Rider since it first came out. I really should revisit it. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
"Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place." - John Bender
(switchboard)

love