Author Topic: Top Films of All Time  (Read 436634 times)

NedMeier

Re: Top Films of All Time
« Reply #4850 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:21 AM »
You have a whole lot of anime on your list (I believe mostly Miyazaki). Do you just really enjoy his films or are you an anime fan also?

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4851 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:07 AM »
You have a whole lot of anime on your list (I believe mostly Miyazaki). Do you just really enjoy his films or are you an anime fan also?

I'm not particularly a fan of anime, though I did read a lot of manga in... I guess it'd be middle school ? As for actual anime, the only non-Ghibli stuff I've seen are Cowboy Bebop (the series), Ghost in the Shell and Akira (as part of the Animation marathon) as well as the recent Your Name. I do like all of these, especially Cowboy Bebop. I've also been trying to get into Evangelion lately, watched three episodes, pretty good so far.

I do love Miyazaki and Ghibli in general, though even there I haven't seen that much, and I really should see more given how much I like them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:52:51 AM by Teproc »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4852 on: March 20, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
Heh, have fun with Evangelion. That's, um, interesting.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #4853 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:25 PM »

I'm not particularly a fan of anime, though I did read a lot of manga in... I guess it'd be middle school ? As for actual anime, the only non-Ghibli stuff I've seen are Cowboy Bebop (the series), Ghost in the Shell and Akira (as part of the Animation marathon) as well as the recent Your Name. I do like all of these, especially Cowboy Bebop. I've also been trying to get into Evangelion lately, watched three episodes, pretty good so far.

I do love Miyazaki and Ghibli in general, though even there I haven't seen that much, and I really should see more given how much I like them.

You should try Haibane Renmei.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4854 on: March 20, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »

You should try Haibane Renmei.

Never heard of it, looks quite interesting though, will keept it in mind.

Heh, have fun with Evangelion. That's, um, interesting.

It's been surprisingly vanilla so far, I expected it to be more along the lines of Ghost in the Shell (philosophical sci-fi with some cool action as opposed to post-apocalyptic shonen), but maybe that comes later. Regardless though, I really like the design of the world and the visceral way it handles the fights, with just a light tinge of body horror and a general acknowledgment that this typical shonen scenario is pretty messed up. I guess it is very much like Akira in that way, which makes sense since it had just come out a few years earlier.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #4855 on: March 20, 2017, 03:31:50 PM »
NGE is one of those shows I appreciate for more historical value than actual quality. What it tries to do for the medium is valiant even if it falls flat on its face at times.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #4856 on: March 20, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »
Yeah, we'll see what you have to say once you finish it.
Check out my blog of many topics

Im not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!

NedMeier

« Reply #4857 on: March 20, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
One punch man was just added to Nexflix in the US. It is pretty funny.

love