Author Topic: Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!  (Read 369863 times)

Kilroy'sCarnival

Introduce Yourself: Newcomers and Lurkers, We Mean You!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 12:33:31 PM »
I have to say I've thought about this thread a bit this weekend.  My first reaction was, I'm afraid, "Oh, let's not spoil this perfectly wonderful relationship by actually meeting." It's not that I'm a recluse or something, but I kind of *like* connecting with other people purely through what they've written about their relationship to film.  

I'm not even sure exactly why I feel that way, whether it's a natural reticence in me or the fact that the more intellectual connection around common interests is actually what I am missing more in my everyday life. Or the fact that I'm a bit older ("and I have more insurance").  The whole idea of a personal and intimate blog is foreign to me.

So, you kids enjoy -- but since I was 'called out' to participate here, just the plain facts: I'm 43, I live in Jacksonville, Florida at present, and I've been listening to Cinecast/Filmspotting for over a year. I think the first one I heard was for "Batman Begins" but I'm not sure. My favorite directors, ones for whom I'll go out of my way to see their latest, are folks like John Sayles, Mike Leigh, Hal Hartley, Noah Baumbach, Bill Forsyth, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and Stephen Frears. Which in my sphere means I've seen most of their works on DVD or VHS.

Movies I've lent or shown other people which seem to "test" their tastes compared to mine include: Beautiful People, Sherman's March, The Unbelievable Truth, Jesus of Montreal, Lone Star, Comfort and Joy, Metropolitan, the Fortunes of War miniseries, Solomon and Gaenor, and After Hours.  The verdict: there's probably a reason I'm something of a loner. : )

The most recent actor I've 'latched onto' is Richard E. Grant (after seeing Withnail & I) and over the past year I've formed a new and profound admiration for the Powell and Pressburger films, at least those I've seen thus far.  I hope not to overstate this, but I feel Netflix has changed my life -- before I joined I would often have to scope around for documentaries and indies that the local stores wouldn't always have.  From Grey Gardens to The Tales of Hoffman to a selection to Iranian films and the WORST Shakespeare film I've ever seen, at least it's available.

So there -- more than I intended to post, and less well-written than I would have hoped.  Take that, Alex! :)  

Best regards,

Ann Carrigan

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »
Taken.  Thanks.

Damn, girl.  You're wordy.  :wink: That's good.  The more the better...and you probably already know that, and I suspect that you're also proud of it.

Keep on posting.  Now that I know you a little bit better, I can use your personal information against you when I disagree with you.  That's just how I roll.   :wink:

My cat just farted, and it's smelling up the whole office.

Now if winrit would climb out of his/her little hole...

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 07:59:46 PM »
Quote from: "alexarch"
Damn, girl.  You're wordy.  :wink: That's good.  The more the better...and you probably already know that, and I suspect that you're also proud of it.

Not really proud of it, no. You can imagine how hard it was to get my sound bite down to under 30 seconds to submit to Cinecast. It makes one really focus though. Had a flashback to my days in college radio.

Again, maybe it's an age thing. I still feel like, if I'm going to write, I might as well fill the "page."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 09:46:32 PM »
Quote from: "Kilroy'sCarnival"

Not really proud of it, no. You can imagine how hard it was to get my sound bite down to under 30 seconds to submit to Cinecast. It makes one really focus though. Had a flashback to my days in college radio.

Which show is your soundbite on?

winrit

• Godfather
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 10:54:35 PM »
Great idea Alex!

I've listened to the boys since itunes. I've been read three times on-air and was once referred to as a man, which I am not. I like to think I was read because of my fabulous wit rather than any particular film knowledge I possess.  

I live in Chicago, but I have never ran into Adam, Sam, or Joan Cusack. Most my friends were film majors in college so I guess that's how I got interested in it.  Those friends now work for studios in Chicago and I have the inside track on movies like Amityville Horror III and Raisin Bran commercials (P.A. to Cinematographer is tough road.)  

In my spare time, I compete in amateur ballroom dancing competitions and perform in showcases.  It's just a hobby though, so if your picturing me with abs of steel, don't. I'm also a big sports fan. Chicago has two baseball teams and soccer, hockey, etc., so I try to get to matches as often as I can. My life isn't quite "Fever Pitch" (the British version), but it's close. I have three cats: Claire, Rueben, and Joey (named after the late Joey Ramone.)

It is really interesting to see all the great things people are doing.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

winrit

• Godfather
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 11:06:04 PM »
Quote from: "wowser"
I have a humble film blog which tries to deal with films that have been on UK TV that week (it's been a fallow period of late). It's at http://afilmaweek.blogspot.com if you enjoy badly written blogs.

I think your blog is great.  The last movie I watched on TV was Alfred Hitchcock's the The Paradine Case with Gregory Peck. After so many screwball comedies, it was nice to see a black-and-white film with a little seediness, people kissing on screen.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 05:40:42 AM »
Thanks, Winrit. I'm not sure what purpose it serves, but I enjoy doing it :)

I was a bit shocked to see Gregory Peck as a Nazi in The Boys From Brazil the other day. Bit jarring.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »
Quote from: "winrit"

I've listened to the boys since itunes. I've been read three times on-air and was once referred to as a man, which I am not. I like to think I was read because of my fabulous wit rather than any particular film knowledge I possess.

I'm not going to say I'm better than you, having been read on the air 4 times because that would be childish...but I am...better than you...and I've had a quote in the dope sheet...Hey, but who's counting?

Those friends now work for studios in Chicago and I have the inside track on movies like Amityville Horror III

What-what-WHAT?!  Are you serious?  Because if you are, I'm buying my advance tickets right now.  Are they making an Amityville II with Ryan Reynolds?

About Ryan Reynolds, why must he take off his shirt in every single movie he's in?  Does he have his agent put that in his contracts?  And if so, why aren't there more beautiful vain men like him?

In my spare time, I compete in amateur ballroom dancing competitions and perform in showcases.

More artsy types.  These forums are full of talent.  Or as Bugs Bunny would say, "Monsters are such IN-teresting people."

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 09:14:21 AM »
To winrit and anyone else:

I hope that no one EVER takes what I say on these forums seriously.  It's very hard for me to be serious, and sometimes it comes out as a "Boo-yah!" or a slam.  My intention is to always add personality to any intellectual discussion; well really to bring down the tone of the discussion to its basist level.

That said, I still maintain that I'm better than Winrit.

BOO-YAH!

Kilroy'sCarnival

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 09:33:42 AM »
Quote from: "alexarch"
That said, I still maintain that I'm better than Winrit.
BOO-YAH!

Must be a Texan thing. :)

love