Author Topic: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me  (Read 85980 times)

Antares

• Elite Member
  • ...and the pump caught in my trouser leg.
Re: What's for Dinner... and did you make enough for me
« Reply #2130 on: March 19, 2015, 05:06:56 PM »
Every so often, I decide to forego whipping something up from scratch and concentrate on getting rid of some stuff downstairs in the freezer and the storage shelves. I call it Hodgepodge Homecooking. For me, the mark of a good chef is one who can take any kind of leftovers and make something just as sumptuous as a virginal recipe. It's also a necessity sometimes, because my wife has a bad habit of buying stuff that languishes on our storage shelves down in the basement, and because I do almost all of the cooking, she doesn't realize what's down there. So today, I found some cans of Stewed Tomatoes that were close to their "best used by" date. On Monday, I noticed that the prep cooks at work were about to throw the giblets and neck bones from some Free Range Chickens that we sell at our restaurant. I took them home and yesterday, made a stock out of them, freezing the giblet portions to be used as treats for my dachshunds. The remaining stock congealed beautifully and there was just enough schmalz on top to use as flavoring in the dish I decided to make tonight. So I went into my freezer and grabbed a pint container of Puttanesca sauce I made last summer, a 1lb. Chicken Breast (sliced), two Fire Roasted Red Peppers that I buy in a jar, 1 cup of Riesling wine I had left in the refrigerator and finally, 1 TBSP. Fresh Pureed Basil in EVOO, which I make with the remaining Basil plants from my garden, before the first frost. Took 4 cloves of sliced garlic and browned with the chicken pieces in the schmalz, then added the Wine, Peppers slices, Basil & 1/3 cup of the stock and reduced by 1/3. Added the Tomatoes and Puttanesca, a bit of Red Pepper Flake and simmered for 15 minutes, while I cooked the Orecchiette. The results...

Served with a salad, heaping amounts of Grana Padano and some white wine...

I get so jazzed when hodgepodge meals come out so good. my wife really liked it and there's enough left for dinner tomorrow. Leftovers of leftovers!  ;)

Beep! Beep!

Sandy

• Godfather
« Reply #2131 on: March 19, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »
Had to look up Puttanesca. Sounds yummy. I like the term "Hodgepodge Homecooking." So much of my cooking is trying to reinvigorate the food that has already been made from other dinners, more so now as I slowly empty out my freezer, so I can defrost it in a few weeks. You make me want to get more creative with my leftovers. :)
"Throw off your fears let your heart beat freely at the sign that a new time is born."

Monty

• Elite Member
  • Monty: Renaissance-Man™ Stark Raving Sane
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #2132 on: April 29, 2015, 03:52:15 PM »
Lamb shanks with vegetables (potatoes, carrots, peas, courgettes etc), cooked in the slow cooker. All washed down with a few glasses of wine and a few beers ;D

I'm not usually a fan of lamb, it's such a picky, finicky meat, but I think Lamb shanks are the way forward.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Sandy

• Godfather
« Reply #2133 on: April 29, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »
I should try that. I've not had success with lamb before.
"Throw off your fears let your heart beat freely at the sign that a new time is born."

Monty

• Elite Member
  • Monty: Renaissance-Man™ Stark Raving Sane
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #2134 on: April 29, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »
I should try that. I've not had success with lamb before.

It was something my dad had done for his (belated) birthday. I've not really been a fan of lamb in the past.
It always seems a lot of effort for very little reward, very picky, like I said earlier. But these lambs shanks were
cooked slowly (with the vegetables) and the meat just fell of the bone, beautiful it was. I think Jamie Oliver has
some really good ideas regarding Lamb shanks if that helps. Scoring the meat and using herbs etc.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."