Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 356562 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #6580 on: January 12, 2017, 04:14:05 AM »
I don't get it...
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #6581 on: January 12, 2017, 07:43:57 AM »
#TheSimpsons
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #6582 on: February 13, 2017, 02:55:40 AM »
When Klingon familial matters overshadow other storylines.

pixote
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #6583 on: February 13, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
When Klingon familial matters overshadow other storylines.

pixote

+1

Worf's angsty identity issues are soooo boring. And don't even get me started on Alexander. Friggin' Alexander....

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6584 on: February 13, 2017, 11:38:51 PM »
Yeah, I pretty well agree. I'm trying to remember what it is about Alexander that is so annoying. I remember that he IS annoying but not exactly why.

Wesley sets a pretty high bar for kids in Star Trek though. I mean he's annoying too, but he is smart and gets stuff done.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #6585 on: February 14, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »
I'll assume this is the Star Trek equivalent of Phoebe Buffay and Julie Emrick looking for their birth parents, and in that case I totally agree too.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #6586 on: February 14, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
but Phoebe's parents were Bob Balaban and Teri Garr!
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6587 on: March 16, 2017, 11:48:47 PM »
"Mansplaining"

For context, I posted this on Faceboook:

Feminism: Women shouldn't be forced into feminine gender roles.
Also Feminism: If a man feels aggrieved because women openly discriminate against him romantically because he doesn't accord with masculine gender roles, he's a "nice" guy misogynist.

I don't believe either of these are mischaracterizations of popular assertions within feminism, though obviously the juxtaposition is meant to stir some thought. Like, there are some bad, entitled men who think by being nice they merit romantic payoff. But I feel like this group overlaps with another (just based on how they process it) of more feminine men that thus gets similarly labeled. My concern isn't that individual women prefer masculine men who aggressively pursue/initiate physically, my concern is the broader social setting that mostly demands this which in turn disadvantages feminine men structurally.

Anyway, one friend accused me of mansplaining feminism to "us."

I get mansplaining as used to label some rando on twitter who tries to correct a female astrophysicist about space. I don't think it works so well when used by a cis-woman to try to tell a queer man that he isn't allowed to make a critique of feminism because he is a man. That cheapens the term for its more important use and puts up a "Cis-girls only club" sign at the door of feminism. If one is supposed to buy the "feminism is about equality, not zero-sum advancement of women" line, it needs to be open to critique over how it looks out for male gender concerns.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6588 on: March 17, 2017, 10:54:15 AM »
Who gets to decide what feminism and mansplaining are? I have many women in my life, a few who liked the same post that one friend objected to. There is broad disagreement among female feminists on many things.

I admit my juxtaposition in the post is a bit apples to oranges, but I don't really think feminism is known to deride butch women who complain about struggling romantically if men are put off by women initiating romantically. Rather it calls out an unfair system that forces women to sit back. But when the roles are reversed, a prominent feminist tactic is to insult the men (google nice guy) who are disadvantaged. If feminism is about broad gender equality, that is problematic. And we don't have to condone the misogyny that some men engage in to attempt to understand and address systemic disadvantages any more than we condone drug violence because a system of poverty we seek to address cultivates it.

Are your romantic preferences for gender roles indiscriminate?

In a general sense, yes.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • A Monkey with a Gun
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #6589 on: March 17, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I think mansplaining is kinda a sexist term. Just call it being condescending.

love