Author Topic: Help me figure out a movie title!  (Read 3576 times)

stephenjames716

Help me figure out a movie title!
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:21:43 PM »
I know this may sound pretty vauge, but I can't remember much about this movie I saw about five years ago. The things that I remember are:

-a mother, and a son, living near a lake of some sort....

-the son, defying his mothers wishes, starts to hang out with a shady man, that runs some sort of a nightclub. I think it was a gay club.

I saw this movie about five years ago, and had to leave the theater before the end of the movie. I know your thinking, why would you care to re-visit a movie you remember so little about, but I am just curious to see how it ends.

I appreciate any help.
Steve

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: Help me figure out a movie title!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
The Deep End ...?

September 27, 2001

BY ADAM KEMPENAAR
"Let's make it 4. I have to pick the kids up."

Taken out of context, it's a rather unremarkable bit of movie dialogue. When the character speaking the lines has just been told she must hand over $50,000 at 5 tomorrow or else have her teenage son implicated in the murder of his gay lover, the words become more mysterious. She doesn't have the money, nor is she likely to get it. But that doesn't change the fact that she still has to be a mom.

In the case of The Deep End, an engaging thriller from directors Scott McGehee and David Siegel, the mom in question is Margaret Hall (Tilda Swinton). With her husband endlessly away at sea, Margaret lives with her three kids and father-in-law along the idyllic shores of Lake Tahoe. Inside the house, things aren't so peaceful.

Her 17-year-old son, Beau (Jonathan Tucker), is a talented musician with a bright future, but he's also struggling with his homosexuality and spending too much time with his nefarious, 30-year-old boyfriend, Darby Reese (Josh Lucas).

When a drunken Darby visits Beau late one night, the two get into a fight near the water. As Beau stalks away, Darby manages to fall off the dock and kill himself. Early the next morning, Margaret discovers the body and immediately assumes that her son is responsible. Without hesitation, she sets out to protect him by dumping the body in the lake.

Things start to spiral out of control when the body is discovered, and a man named Alex Spera (Goran Visnjic of "ER") shows up with evidence that he believes will prove Beau was involved in Darby's death. To keep quiet, he wants $50,000.

As intricate as it might sound, one of the strengths of The Deep End is that it doesn't sacrifice character in the name of plot. The suspense doesn't come from fast-paced car chases or overly choreographed fight scenes but from watching real people -- people you might even recognize from your daily life -- struggling to overcome impossible circumstances.

And McGehee and Siegel skillfully advance the tension without relying on typical movie clichés, such as heavy-handed music. One of the most effective scenes in the movie is when Margaret realizes that in her haste to hide the body, she failed to notice Darby's car. She has no choice but to go back, dive in the icy water, and dig the keys out of the dead man's coat pocket. The whole scene is eerily silent, save for the soothing sound of the water, which clashes perfectly with Margaret's frenzied mindset.

Swinton (Orlando, The Beach) is stunning as Margaret, a woman who is never quite able to believe what she is going through but deals with it methodically, as if she were planning a cookout for her youngest son's little league team.

Perhaps one flaw with the film is that Margaret never directly asks her son if he really did kill Darby -- a fact that many viewers will surely have a tough time swallowing. Can we really believe that their relationship is so dysfunctional that she would just start dumping bodies into lakes and hocking her jewelry without finding out if it was all really necessary?

But in posing the question "How far would you go to protect your child?," the real issue at the core of the film is the unconditional bond that exists between a parent and child. Arguably, Margaret's tragic flaw is that she loves her son too much. It doesn't really matter whether he actually committed the crime. All that matters is that she keeps him safe.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at http://filmspotting.net and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

stephenjames716

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 03:21:17 PM »
WOW!...thanks for the quick and accurate response. Now I have even more of a reason to love cinecast.

Thank you.
Steve

cblincoln23

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 11:29:15 PM »
While watching Creepshow today, i realized there were two horror movies that i recall scenes from but can't place what movie they are actually from.  Help me if you can....

1.  There is an old lady and a crapload of little dolls.  I believe all the little dolls win.  My synopsis probably isn't very good, but hopefully this is enough to get a response from someone. (THIS ONE WAS WAY OFF....I DISCOVERED THAT WHAT I WAS THINKING OF WAS ACTUALLY THE THIRD STORY FROM 'TALES FROM THE HOOD')

2.  Some kind of creature-spirit-or something chasing these people around in some building.  One of the characters has a vial of the blood of christ (at least thats what i think it was)  and if he put a drop in a doorway, the creature-spirit-or something couldnt get through.

These are driving me nuts, and i hope anyone out there can help me.

Also, Creepshow sucked, but i enjoyed just cuz it was romero.

cblincoln23

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:02:29 AM »
I just thought of another one too.

its a dracula type film, and the final shot is a tracking shot over these different coffins.  As it gets to the final one, you see the defeated "creature" and its tooth falls out.  thats the end of the movie......

If you have ANY idea what the movies that i am thinking of are, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks

Cyberhawk88

• http://www.cambrdigetrust.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:42:53 PM »
"2. Some kind of creature-spirit-or something chasing these people around in some building. One of the characters has a vial of the blood of christ (at least thats what i think it was) and if he put a drop in a doorway, the creature-spirit-or something couldnt get through. "

You're thinking of Demon Knight, the first Tales from the Crypt movie.
ditor of the Cambridge Movie News

winrit

• Godfather
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:58:18 PM »
I have one too.  There is this modern vampire (I think) and he takes this girl on a train and then gives her a paralyzing drug, maybe rapes her, and then drains her blood.  I can't remember and I'm not even sure sure it was a vampire theme, maybe a wolf theme.  I am sure about the train and the paralyzing drug.  All I really remember is the nightmares this film gave me.  I never want to see it again, but I wish I knew the name so I could avoid it.  I am also going to add it to my "top 5 most disturbing scenes on film" list once I know the name of it.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

tripperharrison

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 02:25:14 AM »
This sounds the opening scene of George A. Romero's 1977 "vampire" film MARTIN.

Martin is a teenage boy sent to live with his grandfather in a decaying urban setting. Obsessed with romantic dreams of the past, he believes he might be an anochronistic vampire, as he struggles with his perception that the modern world has run out of magic.  

If you can stomach the opening scene, and a few brutal scenes later, it's actually a very thoughtfully made--and at times, poetic--movie that's worth revisiting.

winrit

• Godfather
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 04:53:31 PM »
Quote from: "tripperharrison"
This sounds the opening scene of George A. Romero's 1977 "vampire" film MARTIN.

Yeah, that sounds like the right movie.  From the description it doesn't sound like a movie that would freak me out, but it sure did.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

kradge79

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:44:41 PM »
Hi all! My husband is trying to think of a movie and I thought this would be a great place to ask.  He swears its called A Time to Kill, but I know its not.  The general plot is a governor's wife is plotting to kill him and kidnaps some guys daughter to force him into killing him.  He has no idea who is in it, except for an African American actor playing a shoe shine guy who helps the guy save his daughter.  The African American guy is fairly famous, large, and typically bald.  He is horrible with names. I hope someone can help.  Thanks!
eing powerful is like being a lady.  If you have to tell people you, you aren't.  ~ Margaret Thatcher

love