Author Topic: La La Land  (Read 71 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
La La Land
« on: January 08, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
So with the ending there are a few things that potentially make it tricky:

1. The both succeed. It might be too optimistic that these two people actually do achieve their stated dream.

2. Having seen them succeed at the cost of being together, the little alternative reality flash during his performance at the club felt heavy-handed, presenting, seemingly, an alternative world where they both succeed AND are together. Maybe that was an actual option, but it would seem to fit better if it was a happy together, having settled for not meeting their goals.

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: La La Land
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »
1. The both succeed. It might be too optimistic that these two people actually do achieve their stated dream.

2. Having seen them succeed at the cost of being together, the little alternative reality flash during his performance at the club felt heavy-handed, presenting, seemingly, an alternative world where they both succeed AND are together. Maybe that was an actual option, but it would seem to fit better if it was a happy together, having settled for not meeting their goals.

1. I guess, but this also a film in which we literally see them flying. I'll admit that the ending, with its melancholy, might be expected to have a starker contrast to the fantasy we then see play out.

2. You mean if the fantasy sequence was of them together having settled ? I guess I don't see how that'd be much of a fantasy... I don't think it's meant to have been an actual option, because it's... a fantasy, nothing more. The film plays around with exactly that from the start, even with the opening number : the fantasy of Hollywood contrasted with the reality of it, which requires compromise. The ending only drives that point further. This is where you can go back to n1 and say it indulges too much by having them both achieve their dreams, but I felt invested enough in the relationship to see that as a real cost, which I suppose is where you (and many people who seemed not to care for the pairing) differ.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:34:33 PM by Teproc »

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »
I guess the more obnoxious interpretation was his playing was so expressive that it told the whole story of how their life would have turned out together.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »
When heard someone describe this film as a Gap commercial, it really ruined it for me.