Author Topic: One Chapter At A Time - The Dark Knight Trilogy  (Read 2402 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: One Chapter At A Time - The Dark Knight Trilogy
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »
Agree. I didn't know if it was just me that thinks of Lee Harvey Oswald. It doesn't seem like Nolan to directly evoke a real life incident like that, but it makes the assassination an iconic moment.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 12:25:25 AM »

Batman Begins - Embrace Your Fear

I like how the opening minute of this Chapter is more of Bruce Wayne getting all intellectual about crime, criminals and fear, but then Liam Neeson puts a stop to it by saying, "the criminal is not complicated," calling out Bruce for being his own worst obstacle to becoming what he'd be best at. This leads to a "journey inwards" as Bruce must now fight while on a drug that bring out his worst fear. This is done with an aggressive editing style of quick cuts and sharp noises. It bugged the crap out of me when Nolan did this relentlessly during Insomnia. The technique is more effective here.

One of my favorite subtle effects is pictured above, when Ducard steps back and his pupils glow bright. I love the ninjas all moving in sync to reveal Ducard and then cover him back up, but I do wonder how the rest feel with Bruce getting this kind of training. I mean, are they all here just to make Bruce better, or does he take part in training them too? Still, it's a cool sequence and I like how Bruce uses an injury to draw out Ducard.
Rating: * * * - Good

DarkeningHumour

• Godfather
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2017, 04:21:15 AM »
Bad guy cronies are not people, they are mindless disposable drones that exist only to get the shit beat out of until the main baddie moves in for the final fight. Don't treat them like they have feelings and stuff.

Does Bruce fight very well in that scene? He gets hurt so much in the trilogy I now cannot remember him really excelling at hand to hand combat.
Society is dumb. Art is everything. - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2017, 08:59:10 AM »
He's on a fear drug so he's mostly stumbling around. Bruce wins by outthinking the exercise. He pushes past his fear of bats and learns to use the drones to hide himself while drawing out Ducard.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:59 PM »

Batman Begins - Gotham Must Be Destroyed
"Your compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share."
"That's why it's so important."

I know The League of Shadows is something important from the comic. It's not a group I'm familiar with, just like I'm unfamiliar with Ra's al Ghul. That's not a problem here, like some fanboy service I'm not a part of. Their goal and purpose has been pretty explicit throughout this beginning, and now we see where Bruce Wayne disagrees sharply from the rest. It's unclear if the League choosing to destroy Gotham is a specific plan because they have Bruce among them, or if Gotham is meant to stand in for any and every large city the League will target? Would they be going after Gotham if they didn't have Bruce Wayne? I guess so, since that's what they do later on, so was it just a fortunate turn of events that Ducard recruited Bruce?

This is one of those brief scenes that's fine, nothing bad but nothing exceptional. The camera set-ups are very simple, Ken Watanabe is very hard to understand at times and his facial hair is distracting. The music builds to something exciting, but I guess that will wait until tomorrow.
Rating: * * * - Okay

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »

Batman Begins - Monastery Mayhem

I think this is the first example of Nolan doing epic action. It's pretty good, actually more clear than his previous hand-to-hand combat. There's a good deal of that too, with Ken Watanabe going all nuts. I think the improvement may be because the scene requires an occasional wide shot for the explosions. This is also a difficult scene to grab a screenshot for because of all the action blur. This is the image I wanted to use.

I also want to talk about this moment.

It's a cool idea to have somebody unconsciously sliding towards the edge of a cliff and an exciting moment, but this isolated shot always seems off to me. I think it's because Neeson isn't face down in the snow. It's probably because his armor is raising up his head, but even is neck isn't slumped down, so it just looks like he's closing his eyes in meditation and not unconscious.
Rating: * * * - Good

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »

Batman Begins - Incorruptible Symbol
"As a man, I'm flesh and blood. I can be ignored, I can be destroyed.
But as a symbol... As a symbol, I can be incorruptible."

First off, love that shot. Bruce Wayne, set slightly off center, walking off the grass and back on the tarmac with the snowy mountains behind him. A beautiful composition.

Most of the Chapter takes place inside Wayne's private jet. Just Bruce and Alfred catching up and planning for the future like a couple of old friends. Michael Caine gets a couple of great laughs here - that's right, funny writing in a Christopher Nolan film. The first is when he talks about Bruce hiding behind a symbol "to protect those you care about from reprisals." When Bruce asks if Alfred is thinking about Rachel, Caine laughs when he replies, "Actually sir, I was thinking of myself." The other is when we learn that because of his lengthy absence, Bruce Wayne has been declared dead, but that's okay because his will leaves everything to Alfred. Caine leans back in his plush chair as if to take a nap, acting like he is now in command. "And you can borrow the Rolls if you like."

Also in this Chapter is the discussion that will lead to Bruce taking on the disguise of Batman, an explanation for his running around the city of Gotham wearing a costume. Again, it reminds me of V For Vendetta but again this is telling a different story, building a more vast and more complex mythology.
Rating: * * * - Very Good

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2017, 10:48:16 PM »

Batman Begins - Nest of Bats
"The work offered by organized crime must have an attraction to the insane."

Nolan's insistence on logic gives him strength as a problem solver. By now, I had taken some of the loopy mythology of Batman for granted. A secret cave somewhere in the mansion that's a work of architectural beauty and inhabited largely by bats? I never questioned it with Tim Burton's Batman films, but I retroactively question it now that I've seen Nolan's concept for the Batcave. It has meaning, it makes sense. It gives Bruce the symbol he's looking for and returning to it as an adult, we can see how he's transformed. That which used to frighten him now gives him ideas to use on others.

The other half of the Chapter introduces Cillian Murphy as Dr. Jonathan Crane and also gives a hint to Katie Holmes' weaknesses. It's not a good scene for any actress, having to deliver plot about Arkham Asylum and hint that Crane is working for the bad guys, but look at that screenshot. It's the start of an argument where she's mad, and she looks like she's smiling. She completely out of character, proven by her close-up just before and after that shot.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »

Batman Begins - Welcome Home
"Why is no one answering the phone?"
"It's Wayne Enterprises, Mr. Earle. I'm sure they'll call back."

This Chapter is all about laying groundwork. There's nothing exciting, just a few short scenes to show various Gotham citizens making moves.

- Crane asks Falcone for help with Rachel, and lets the boss know that "he" is coming.
- Rachel learns that Wayne is back in Gotham.
- Bruce returns to Wayne Enterprises, but isn't looking to take over the company. He's more interested in the Applied Sciences division. During this scene, we also see Wayne charm the CEO's secretary in a way that's very James Bond. Even the score suggests this.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2017, 12:12:17 AM »

One of my favorite subtle effects is pictured above, when Ducard steps back and his pupils glow bright

Is this the first time we get that twitchy pulsing camera effect? I LOVE how that looks. It's so intense and I've never seen an effect like it before in film. I thought it was quite an achievement in conveying a manic/hallucination type episode. Such a better depiction than what's typically been done for POV shots of character effected by drugs. Slow, blurry, slurry.... This was sharp and unnerving.

love