Author Topic: #616: Top 10 Films of 2016 (Pt. 1)  (Read 629 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: #616: Top 10 Films of 2016 (Pt. 1)
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 09:21:41 PM »
Look, I'm new around here, and this is totally being that guy right out of the gate, but I gotta get it off my chest; I've never met anybody who thinks Chet Baker is one of the great jazz trumpeters of all time.
I don't think we should get too bogged down in semantics. While not being overly familiar with Baker's work myself, I certainly could name 15-20 better/more acclaimed trumpeters. However, there's ample support for him being a major figure in jazz at his peak - the word "legend" is thrown around - which is all I was trying to suggest.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at http://filmspotting.net and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »
Hmm, I was going to skip this episode (too many podcasts, far too little time, I'm afraid) but if people are dissing Chet Baker, I may have to tune in and see what's going on. And sharpen my pitchfork.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 07:12:04 PM »
He does include a scene where the girls destroy the library which I found indicative of Park passing a moral judgment on the men. Perhaps I am wrong in that interpretation?

The women don't destroy some abstract "Male Library," they destroy one man's library. A man who abused and murdered Hideko's aunt, and continued to physically abuse and emotionally torment Hideko. These books were his obsession, and the readings were one of his means of dominating Hideko, so they destroyed them out of revenge.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:28:23 AM by pixote »
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

pixote

• Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 01:26:19 AM »
He does include a scene where the girls destroy the library which I found indicative of Park passing a moral judgment on the men.

The women don't destroy some abstract "Male Library," they destroy one man's library.

Guys, please please please be more considerate about posting spoilers outside the Movie Talk (Spoiler Edition) board. I spent 150 minutes of my life on The Handmaiden tonight, and for roughly fifty of those, I was distracted and annoyed by the foreknowledge above, which clearly should have been wrapped in spoiler text to begin with.

pixote
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:29:06 AM by pixote »
I think I'd love how awkward it'd be, or how awkward it should be.

love