Author Topic: Spring Breakers  (Read 2251 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Spring Breakers
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »
Just a placeholder for now, but no time like the present to prep, right!?!?!?!

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Spring Breakers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
Overall, I loved it. There's a bit of a lull heading toward the mid-point where Korine's use of repetition feels really, well, repetitious (at other points this works to nice effect), but then Franco and the girls bust out a Brittany Spears ballad that will without a doubt be one of my favorite scenes for the entire year.

The camera work is phenomenal, the cast is great, the music is epic. It's anarchic, gratuitous, and a hilarious satire. An ode to the American dream and the most fearsome creatures on the planet: teenage girls.
"If God gives you lemons find a new God."

Alan Smithee

• http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
Im surprised they didn't review it on this weeks show. I havent listened yet but do they give a reason?

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
No reason except that Filmspotting doesn't necessarily review new releases as they open. That's never been our model.  Also the show is taped ahead of airing. 
Texan Down Under

Alan Smithee

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »
No reason except that Filmspotting doesn't necessarily review new releases as they open. That's never been our model.  Also the show is taped ahead of airing.

I know there are the rare occasions that they have done it. They must not get screenersl

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
They get screeners.  As I said, early reviews are not our model.
Texan Down Under

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
  • Squee!
    • The Movie Review Warehouse
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »
Liked it a lot...review forthcoming.

After recent news stories I think I'll avoid asking where Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Benson were keeping their spare clips while going on a rampage in bikinis.

Observing the crowd watching this film was one of the more enjoyable elements. I imagine none of them had seen a Korine film before and went on the basis of the cast. I don't think they were quite prepared for what they saw.

P.S. I like the week lag for Filmspotting...that way I've often seen the film before they discuss it. If they were doing quick "see it or skip it" reviews being early might be nice but to appreciate their more in depth style fully one needs to have seen the film already.
"Sometimes it is by disguising ourselves in the form of others that we can see ourselves most plainly."

jdc

• Elite Member
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »
Glad to see that some good buzz is coming from this, hopefully Korine will step up his directing efforts a bit more often.  It already outdid Gummo and Julien Donkey-boy at the box office.  I have to wait to May but still surprised that they is getting a local release here
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
Yes! Check out my shit! Might go see this again this week!

Alan Smithee

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 01:12:40 AM »
Almost the entire audience was teenagers. It seems Korine has warped a whole new generation with his twisted vision.

Over all I liked it although the performances by Gomez and Gucci Man were kind of bad, and they didn't even give the "stars" The ATL Twins any speaking parts. Did anybody read that Vice article on them? Geez.